Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wellness #42: Staying Well

1.Try out the symptom checker or the pill identifier. Write in general terms about how accurate the results seemed to be.
I am not sure how accurate this online service is, I tested it on an over the counter medicine that I have in my drawer and it did not even get close to what the product was. It did on my second test though. Maybe its not meant for over the counter medications.

2.Pick any medical condition or service and use the local MedlinePlus to see if there are related resources within 10 miles of your home. List what you found.

I chose chiropractors but the results don't seem to have an option to sort by using your zip code. The first one that was on the list was nearby but it was a fluke because it started with a number and it was organized alphanumerically. At first I thought I wasn't using the search map correctly so I redid it 3 times and came up with the same result. I did not see an option that would help me narrow down the 280 different providers. I think I would prefer to use the Aetna DocFind rather than the Medline Plus, plus I know it will be in my insurance provider network as well. Anyhow here are the first few listing medline gave me...

1960 West Chiropractic Center
5020 FM 1960 Road West, Ste. B6
Houston, TX 77069
281.580.1961
Map and directions


22nd Chiropractic Clinic
11326 Westheimer Rd., Ste. D
Houston, TX 77077
281.709.2488
Map and directions


A & M Chiropractic Clinic
7920 Hillcroft
Houston, TX 77081
713.270.8427
Map and directions


A-Access Chiropractic
8734 Stella Link
Houston, TX 77025
713.592.5650
Map and directions



3.Create a sample family medical history tree. Discuss how this could this be a useful addition to a genealogy study.
I believe it would be a better tool for someone who has a more organized and well established family line more so than mine. But none the less, I made one that included my parents and my siblings, however it is hard to go any farther on my mother's side of the family because they have never really kept up with it. It may be possible that the vietnamese government may have some files but it would be hard to locate. Poor families in the Vietnam countryside tend not to keep track of paperwork as well as urban richer city dwellers. And the war wrecked havoc on alot of records. Majority of what we know is what my parents tell us. My mother cannot even tell me what her grandparents names are... so the trail gets cold very soon after it has started. My siblings and I have all attempted to create a family tree or geneological study at some point in our lifetime and we always end up with a dead end. Having a family on the other side of the world where you rarely keep in contact or know is hard, especially when you ask questions and none have answers for you. But like I said, this tool may prove to be more useful to others than it does for me.

No comments: