Tuesday, September 8, 2009

iHCPL Wellness

#39 Nutrition
Part 1
I am glad this is one of the modules for training this year. I have been looking for motivational and informational sites that can help me become healthier. My lunch today was a Taco Cabana Stewed Chicken Cabana Bowl; I should have made a better choice! After looking at the nutritional data, I realized how much calories and fat the item contained. I used the BMI and daily needs calculator, I liked how it broke everything down and showed me what my macronutrient ratio was. It was a bit daunting because of all the information available on this website; it took me a little while to get used to finding certain foods. I looked up my favorite cereal and this is what is showed.

------
The good: This food is very low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, and a very good source of Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron and Zinc.

The bad: A large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars.
------

It is also a -35 level of mildly inflammatory. Who knew cereal was inflammatory? It makes me rethink everything I eat now.



Part2: Recipe

Creamy Chicken Spaghetti (4 - 5 servings)

1 small can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup (98% fat free),
1 lb Chicken Breast, no skin, 1 unit (yield from 1 lb ready-to-cook - Cubed 1/2 inch
2 cup fresh Mushrooms, fresh, pieces or slices
1 cup Milk, 2%
1 cup water
1/2 package of Ronzoni, Healthy Harvest Spaghetti, approx. 6 oz
1 TBSP Olive oil
2 TBSP of Lawreys garlic salt
3 TBSP of Mrs Dash sodium free garlic basil and sundried tomato seasoning

NUTRITIONAL INFO

1 - Marinate cubed chicken with garlic salt, and Mrs Dash seasoning. set aside.
2 - Cook spaghetti according to directions on package.
3 - In a flat bottomed sauce pan, add olive oil, saute the marinated chicken until slightly browned.
4 - Add mushrooms, cream of mushroom, milk, and water to the chicken. Stir. Simmer over medium heat until mushrooms are cooked through and sauce has thickened.
5 - Serve sauce over spaghetti.

This recipe is low in calories, high in fiber, low in fat, and very easy to make. I make this when I don't know what to cook anything complicated and want something healthy. You may add onions if you wish.

No comments: