Friday, November 30, 2007

Week 6: #15 On Library 2.0 & Web 2.0

Let's see... after being in the library system for three short years I have seen many changes in the dyanamics of the libraries... well.... actually in reference to how the library used to be when I was in middle school until now. Technology and the resources that are made available through our libraries have changnend immensely. I remember having to sit at a microfiche machine for hours on end, scanning through blurry article after article trying to find sources that I can use for my history report or project, but with the databases we have now its as easy as typing in a few words and using the tags to navigate through pages of all relevant information rather than sifting through ads and miscellaneous articles. I think the libraries of today and tomorrow are a much better assett to the public than it was years ago. Library 2.0 helps us become more available to our customers, and I know that the public are less hesitant to come in and ask for help to find information and do research. Look at HCPL for example, we have downlaodable audio available for patrons. Our patrons can now download books onto their mp3's or ipods and listen to them on the go... and I think our computer saavy customers really appreciate that. The concept of Library 2.0 is a good thing... we're headed for a brighter and more advanced future.

No comments: