Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Publishing Evolution #83: Paper to Pixels (or e-ink)

I definitely prefer ink and paper, the glare of the computer screen is not as appealing as crisp pages and the new book smell. I think it's great that materials are available at the click of a button, who doesnt like convenience? But there is nothing like finding a confortable spot in the house or outside and immersing yourself in a good book. Reading materials in paper format is more important to me, I remember reading assigned books, I would make notes in the margin, I can highlight things I need to reference back to. Yes you can do it on a digital format but when you think about it, what if you have no access to the computer, computer crashes, or there is a power outage? The digital format would not be of use at all.

Price definitely influences whether or not I would buy something. But regardless I would prefer the paper and ink stuff. A book is portable and cheaper in the long run, in order to access digital materials, you need first a computer or some type of overpriced computerized device to retrieve it and then you have to buy the actual file. Call me old fashioned I guess.

I went to iFiction, and I definitely like the idea. I have a magazine subscription that does something similar to this. They have excerpts from what they call "Good Reads" and I have found myself finding interest in the items after I have read a small part of the book. Its practically what you would do in a bookstore, flip through a few pages, read a few paragraphs and if you like it purchase it.

Working in a library is great, I get to see all kinds of new materials when they come in at the branch. I get to read the books or preview them without paying the price.

No comments: