Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pets #73: Losing a Friend

I have lost a few pets over the years (due to accident, old age and sickness). As I mentioned before, my family has had many pets majority of my life. And I think since we (my family) have dealt with that loss at an early age we are somewhat desensitized to that. I still get very sad when any pet passes but I can see how some people may have trouble dealing with that. But then again, when you are older you have a greater concept of death so those coping abilities may change as well.

1. I did a search for dealing with loss of pet. The first one I found was petloss.net
After reading over some of the tips, I can see it does provide useful information to any grieving petowner. I am not sure if it it well known, the web page needs some polishing up but it does give plenty of useful information. I like that it has a "Guide to Support Groups, Counselors & Pet Cemeteries" as well. I also found the Humane Society of the United States.
This is a well known organization so I would definitely recommend them to others.
My family also watch Cesar Millan (the dog whisperer) and tend to use tips from him when dealing with our pets. He has a page on his website that also provides insight on loss of a pet. The last two sites I would definitely recommend, they have credible backgrounds and speak with years of experience.

No comments: